Stripe Swiss Voile Counterchange Dress
As Featured in Classic Sewing Magazine
Everything you need to successfully make this classic Gail Doane dress
Come experience the methodical, personal, creative instruction for which Gail is renowned, all from the comfort of your own sewing space, on your own schedule, and at your own pace. With up-close video streams from multiple cameras, detailed instructions, and digital patterns you will be fully equipped for success. Vanquish the scourge of UFO’s (unfinished outfits) and reunite with the precious feeling of sewing a project to completion. With Gail as your guide, success is your destination.
Here's everything included with this class:
- 9 Video Lessons (over 4.5 hours of recorded video instruction)
- 25 Page Written Instruction Guide (Stripe Swiss Voile Counterchange Dress)
- 8 Page Written Instruction Guide (Drafted-to-match Imperial Batiste Slip)
- 5 sizes of Downloadable Dress Patterns (Sizes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- 5 sizes of Downloadable Slip Patterns (Sizes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Detailed Instructions and Patterns, Included With the Video Class
Step-by-Step Written Instructions
Every detail, documented in words & photos
Digital Pattern Downloads
Any size pattern, any time you want it
With Gail Guiding You Every Step of the Way,
YOU Can Complete This Dress!
Gail's Modern Four-Camera Sewing Studio Gives You a Front Row Seat to Every Stitch
Eye-Level Speaker Shot
Gail speaks directly to the camera
Overhead Long Shot
Watch Gail's hands work on the sewing table
Super-Close Detail Shot
See the fine nuances that make exquisite finishing details
See Gail sew on her machine with no obstruction
9 Comprehensive and Conveniently Edited Lessons That Will Take From Start To Finished Dress
No Details Left Out, This Course Covers it All!
Lesson 1: Introduction
- A visual overview of the dress, analysis of the cutting guide, and a review of the materials list.
Lesson 2: Marking the Dress Front for Smocking
- A closeup demonstration of my personal modified counterchange stitch.
Lesson 3: Constructing the Dress Front
- Making and applying piping, preparing the bodice front lacework, and attaching the smocked skirt.
Lesson 4: Constructing the Dress Back
- Preparing the bias cut bodice back with wraparound lining, inserting the skirt back placket, and
attaching the gathered skirt back to the bodice back.
Lesson 5: Putting it All Together
- Preparing the front bodice lining, completing the shoulder seams, preparing the piped back belts, French seaming the side seams.
Lesson 6: Preparing and Inserting the Sleeves
- Stitching the underarm French seam, preparing and applying ‘in the round’ French bias binding, and inserting the sleeve and binding the seam allowance with Seams Great.
Lesson 7: Completing the Neckline Finish
- Preparing the pre-finished bias neckband, applying the quarter-inch French bias neckband , and adding the quarter-inch French edging to the neckline.
Lesson 8: Finishing Up
- Applying the hemband, stitching the bead flowers on the front bodice, making the buttonholes and adding the dress back buttons, and making the thread chain belt carriers.
Lesson 9: Constructing the Matching Slip
- Step-by-step instructions for constructing the drafted-to-match Imperial batiste slip.
Meet Your Instructor: Gail Doane
In the words of Classic Sewing Magazine: "Gail Doane is an internationally recognized expert in sewing technique and design, as well as a featured designer in Classic Sewing magazine. It’s the tiny details of sewing that are her recognizable signature style."
In her own words: Gail is "an heirloom sewing addict who is detail-oriented, but prepared to break the rules."
Gail brings to the classroom over 40 years of experience, having dressed seven children, and now an ever-expanding number of grandchildren, in beautiful heirloom clothing. Her work first appeared in Australian Smocking & Embroidery in 2000 and Inspirations in 2008.
Gail's Sewing Has Been Featured In Top-Tier Publications Across the Globe
Sewing class reinvented for the online age
The Highest-Quality Instruction
- Watch Gail's masterfully experienced hands as they reveal every subtlety and nuance needed for each technique
- Enjoy multiple camera angles including super-close up shots of Gail's sewing table and machine
The Most Convenient Experience
- Leave the time, headache, and expense of travel behind and work from the comfort of your own sewing room
- Retain access to this course for life, and reference back to it as often as you need so you can finish more projects
- Stream Gail's sewing instruction onto the device of your preference making it easy to sew wherever you want
Sewing Class The Old Way
Travel to attend an in-person class held at a conference
What You Experience:
- 20+ students crowded around a single sewing machine or table without a clear view
- Stress between trying to record audio/video of the class or furiously taking notes so you can retain what your learn
- Pack your sewing machine and lug it through airports and hotels to use it in class
- Instructor barraged by Chatty Pattys asking personal sewing questions and using up precious class time
What you pay:
- Flights $300
- Hotel $200
- Rental Car $150
- Food $50
- Registration $150
- Total Cost $850
Sewing Class The New Way
Attend class from the convenience of your own sewing room
What You Experience:
- High-quality, close-up camera shots from multiple angles with no obstruction
- Convenient, recorded, videos you can review as many times as you need to get your sewing right
- The familiarity of your own sewing room and the convenience of all of your at-home supplies
- A constant flow of valuable information without interruptions or distractions
What you pay:
- Flights $0
- Hotel $0
- Rental Car $0
- Food $0
- Registration $169
- Total Cost $149
Previous Students are Raving About Gail's Online Classes...
“Worth every penny"
"Gail is Perfection Personified"
"I'll be signing up for the next [one]"
“This was having a front row seat!"
"Outstanding, so informative!"
"Money very well spent"
We Surveyed 200+ of Gail's Past Sewing Students
Here's how they rated their online sewing experience:
- Average rating for skill improvement:
4.77 out of 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Average rating for online format:
4.93 out of 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Average rating for overall experience:
4.99 out of 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Willingness to recommend to a friend:
4.96 out of 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Important Questions and Answers About This Online Course
How do I access the course?
What technology do I require to view this course?
What supplies or materials do I require?
I do not live in the United States. Will I still be able to access the course?
The Heirloom Sewing Horror Story...
A search and rescue mission for confidence
One of the relentless challenges of heirloom sewing is feeling confident in enough different skills to complete a beautiful garment. Without confidence in each specific skill, you second-guess yourself over and over, barely moving forward, until you wake up one day and you’re sitting in your sewing room, staring at a closet of half-finished outfits racking your brain to remember what the satisfaction of completing a project feels like.
That doesn't have to be you!
Join us in waging war against UFOs (unfinished outfits) and register today!